When Karrie moved to Hong Kong, she knew from the get go that she wanted to work in the luxury industry. After a publishing stint that spoke to a high net worth audience, the young entrepreneur decided to venture into her own PR and event agency. In her years since finding her own niche in wellness, retail and banking in Asia, the girl-about-town has also discovered the secret to achieving work-life balance.
- What is it about your work or career that you enjoy most?
“I like meeting new people and helping start-ups and established businesses grow through online and offline marketing activities and promotions. I find fulfilment in coming up with creative ideas and opportunities for my clients and happiest when I have successful case studies.”
- What do you consider to be “hazards of the job?”
“Like any job, my work can be quite stressful but I am lucky that I have my own time as an entrepreneur. I make sure that I have a good work-life balance and engage in different activities to de-stress.”
- For women who aspire for similar careers, what would be your advice?
“Continue learning and see how [you] can further evolve to be better. I always try to keep my eyes open and be self-aware so that I can be of better service to my clients.”
- What are the career milestones that inspire you to break the glass ceiling or mold?
“I’ve been a risk taker and launched new concepts in different markets and I take pride in that. I would like to continue with IP (intellectual property) projects and replicate them in different cities and continue building brands with global recognition.”
- How do you balance work and family life? What are activities that enable you to bond with family?
“I make sure that my weekends with my boyfriend and daughter are fun and active by organizing hikes, picnics, trips to the beach or we participate in workshops together where all of us learn a new skill.”
- How do you unwind or rewind? Any favorite spots in your current city that you consider as your me-time haven?
“As I am active in the wellness industry, I am exposed to different modalities/treatments and different fitness activities. I find sound healing and singing bowls very soothing and grounding which I need to do from time to time. Whenever I need to unwind, I punch the bag doing boxing or Muay Thai. I go to the rooftop of Grand Hyatt (The Grill) or the Pulse when I need some peace and quiet.”
- How would you describe your personal style? What are your wardrobe essentials?
“I wear tank tops and bodysuits that I pair with denims for everyday use. When I need to attend parties, I dress up in a lace camisole with a jacket or wear a jumpsuit.
- What for you makes for a good investment piece? Kindly cite examples of pieces in your current wardrobe.
“I prefer the minimalist and classic look. I have this cream lace jumpsuit from Charina Sartre that I always get compliments when I wear it so I use it to a cocktail party or important business meeting. My fave purse is a bright red clutch from Loewe. And I use my pumps from Dior whenever I need to be a bit dressy.”
9. What do pearls mean to you?
“Pearls are close to my heart as they remind me of the islands in the Philippines, where I am from. They symbolise elegance, grace and femininity which I hope to personify."