Creativity runs deep in Malou’s veins. Since launching her own accessories brand in 2011, Joanique, the designer and creative director has brought to life design concepts that celebrate the work of hands and beauty of natural materials. Through Malou’s vision, Joanique’s pieces have become top selects in major fashion glossies around Europe, the US, and Asia. At the annual Premiere Classe trade fair shows in France, editors of Vogue and Elle (French editions) have been quick to single out Joanique’s creations as among the season’s best.
Apart from her work in fashion, Malou is also dedicated to her work as a self love teacher and Shamanic Breathwork facilitator. Her recent discovery of the power of breath, jump started a new journey that would take her to new places, meet new faces, and explore other venues for applying her creativity. It was through her wellness excursions that she found herself in the highlands of Peru. The transformation experience would later become her main inspiration for her collaborative collection under the Alchemy by ARAO Series.
Between her growing wellness practice and community at livewithresonance.com and her accessories brand Joanique, Malou is all about embracing the flow and ebb that each day might bring. She shares,“Take the leap, do the work, stay true to what your heart desires and enjoys.”
1. What keeps you busy these days?
Aside from designing and managing my brand Joanique. I am also teaching and facilitating.
I am a Self-Love teacher. I do one-on-one consultations. I am also a Shamanic Breathwork teacher. I facilitate breathwork online and in person. Lately, I’ve been traveling to do breathwork workshops in various parts of the world.
2. How did you come to find your current career or life’s work?
My first experience of Shamanic Breathwork was during the start of pandemic. I was invited by my friend and neighbor to try it online. I tried it, and had the most profound experience.
3. What is it about your work or career that you enjoy most?
Hearing others share their profound experiences and witness how the breathwork has affected them in a positive way is what I enjoy the most.
4. For people who aspire for similar careers, what would be your advice?
Take the leap, do the work, stay true to what your heart desires and enjoys.
6. What are the career milestones that inspire you to break the glass or mold?
I am often inspired by my goal of having my own wellness retreat resort, which will cater to healing and wellbeing.
7. How do you balance work and family life? What are activities that enable you to bond with family?
Just time management. Fortunately, I don’t follow a 9-to-five work schedule. My job allows me to be flexible with my time and give me control over where I want to utilize it.
8. How do you unwind or rewind? Any favorite spots in your current city that you consider as your me-time haven?
I move a lot. Exercising always keeps me in a good mood and mindset. I do yoga and meditate a lot. I also like to hike and be in nature.
9. How would you describe your personal style? What are three your wardrobe essentials?
I like to keep it simple and clean. Sneakers, workout clothes and denims.
10. What makes for a good investment piece? Kindly cite examples of pieces in your current wardrobe.
I really like to invest in good quality sneakers. I travel a lot and I’m also on the go.
11. What do pearls mean to you?
Luxurious, elegant and sophisticated.
12. What is everyday luxury for you?
For me, everyday luxury comes in the form of eating healthy, being in your best shape, and relishing in that state of wellbeing.